PLACES TO START
These are entry points that I found useful.
• Bloom, Anthony. Beginning to Pray. Paulist Press, 1970.
• Chittister, Joan. The Breath of the Soul: Reflections on Prayer. 23rd Publications, 2009.
• Keating, Thomas. Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer. Crossroads, 1994, 2009.
• Penington, M. Basil. Lectio Divina: Renewing the Ancient Practice of Praying the Scriptures. Crossroads, 1998.
• Rahner, Karl. The Need and Blessing of Prayer. Liturgical Press, 1997.
These sources included books about prayer and specific prayer forms (ie Lectio Divina, Ignatian), as well as collections of prayers that have been meaningful on my spiritual journey. I hope that you can find something of meaning in them as well.
• Benson, Robert. In Constant Prayer. The Ancient Practices Series. Thomas Nelson, 2008.
• Bloom, Anthony. Courage to Pray. St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 1997.
• Manney, Jim. A Simple, Life-Changing Prayer: Discovering the Power of St. Ignatius Loyola’s Examen. Loyola Press: 2011.
• Mathewes-Green, Frederica. The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God. Paraclete, 2009.
• Rahner, Karl. Encounters with Silence. St. Augustine’s Press, 1999.
Books of Prayers and Liturgies
• Claiborne, Shane. Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals. Zondervan, 2010.
• Gallagher, Timothy. An Ignatian Introduction to Prayer: Scriptural Reflections According to the Spiritual Exercises. Crossroads: 2008.
• Merton, Thomas. A Book of Hours. Sorin, 2007.