Scroll down for sections:
1) Biblical Foundations
2) Theology & Spirituality
3) Congregational Development
4) Ecology & Environmental Stewardship
The following is a list of books and some other sources on justice advocacy, its biblical foundations, and congregational development.
Good places to begin are marked with an asterisk (*).
1) BIBLICAL FOUNDATIONS
• *Brueggemann, W. The Prophetic Imagination, 2nd edition. Knoxville: Doubleday, 1992.
• Ceresko, A.R. Introduction to the Old Testament: A Liberation Perspective. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2001, 1992.
• Horsley, R., ed. In the Shadow of Empire: Reclaiming the Bible as a A History of Faithful Resistance. Knoxville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2008.
• Howard-Brook, W. “Come Out, My People!” God’s Call Out of Empire in the Bible and Beyond. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2012.
NEW TESTAMENT SPECIFIC
• Carter, W. John and Empire: Initial Explorations. New York: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2008.
• __________. Matthew and the Margins: A Sociopolitical and Religious Reading. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2001.
• __________ . The Roman Empire and the New Testament: An Essential Guide. Nasheville: Abingdon Press, 2009.
• Cassidy, R. Jesus, Politics, and Society: A Study of Luke’s Gospel. New York: Wipf & Stock, 2015.
• Hendricks, O. The Politics of Jesus: Rediscovering the True Revolutionary Nature of Jesus’ Teaching and How They Have Been Corrupted. New York: Three Leaves Press-Doubleday, 2006.
• *Horsley, R. Jesus and Empire: The Kingdom of God and the New World Disorder. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2002.
• __________ . Jesus and the Powers: Conflict, Covenant, and the HOope of the Poor. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2011.
• Jennings, T. The Insurrection of the Crucified: The Gospel of Mark as Theological Manifesto. New York: Imprint Macmillan, 2003.
• *Johnson, L.T. Prophetic Jesus, Prophetic Church: The Challenge of Luke-Acts to Contemporary Christians. Grand Rapid, MI: Eerdmans, 2011.
• Myers, C. Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark’s Story of Jesus. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2008, 1988.
• Rowe, C. K. World Upside Down: Reading Acts in the Graeco-Roman Age. Oxford: University Press, 2010.
• Seo, P.S. Luke’s Jesus in the Roman Empire and the Emperor in the Gospel of Luke. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2015.
• Thatcher, T. Greater than Caesar: Christology and Empire in the Fourth Gospel. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2009.
2) THEOLOGY & SPIRITUALITY
3) CONGREGATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
• *Jacobsen, D.A. Doing Justice: Congregations and Community Organizing. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001.
• Mcelvaney, W.K. Becoming a Justice Seeking Congregation: Responding to God’s Justice Initiative. Bloomington, IN: Universe Books, 2009.
• *Moe-Lobeda, C. Public Church: For the Life of the World. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress Press, 2004.
• Salvatierra, A & Heltzel, P. Faith-Rooted Organizing: Mobilizing teh Church in Service to the World. Downers Grove, IN: InterVarsity, 2014.
4) ECOLOGY & ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP
[There are a great many resources in this field. I have included only a few that I have found personally helpful or useful for congregational development.]
• Bergant, D. The Earth is the Lord’s: The Bible, Ecology, and Worship. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1998.
• Berry, T. Dream of the Earth, revised edition. Berkeley: Counterpoint Press, 2015 [original: Sierra Club Books, 1988].
• Fox, M. Original Blessing, new edition. New York: Penguin Putnam Press, 2000, 1983.
• Harper, F. GreenFaith: Mobilizing God’s People to Save the Earth. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2015.
• Sabin, S. Tending to Eden: Environmental Stewardship for God’s People. Prussia, PA: Judson Press, 2010.
• Pope Francis. Laudato Si: On Care for Our Common Home. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2015. [There is a useful study guide produced by Our Sunday Visitor that can be used with the encyclical.]